Friday, January 27, 2012

What is basic and useful information that I should know, before buying a Black Bear Hamster?

I will be buying a Black Bear Hamster and would like to have some basic information on many subjects. Like feeding, holding/caring for the animal, cages, and that information. Also, out of curiosity, what would happen if you let your hamster sleep on top of your bed?



-Thank you!What is basic and useful information that I should know, before buying a Black Bear Hamster?Good for you for doing your research!

I have a great site for you that will explain everything!

http://www.hamsterific.com/

I also advise for future reference to ask your hamster related questions in the Hamsterific forum.What is basic and useful information that I should know, before buying a Black Bear Hamster?Ok, you asked a VERY big question but I will try to answer it . . .



Feeding : The only thing your hamster really needs is hamster food from the pet store but occasionally feed him any yummy veggies out of the fridge. Carrots, lettuce, squash, even a piece of dog or cat kibble is alright once in a while.Do NOT feed store bought trats except for wood chews, they are very high in fat.



Caring: Hamsters are very easy to care for, only needing food every two days or so and water also every two days. Bedding and shavings should be removed and replaced once a week, and I suggest getting a hamster ball for this purpose.



Cages : There are many types of cages and for your purposes I suggest getting a large aquarium tank or a wire cage. Do not get a habitrail cage or any cage with tubes or attachments as your hamste will get stuck. If you want something clean and relatively easy to manage I suggest an aquarium. My hamster lives in a 20 gallon tank, this should be plenty.



Holding/ Personality : The Syrian or Black Bear Hamster is a good cuddler and doesn't usually bite or scratch. A good choice for kids and people who like to pick up the hamster.



Necessities : Large hamster wheel, food bowl, water bottle, hamster house, wood shavings (get aspen, pine and cedar damage the liver of the hamster), bedding for house, (I use Carefresh), and food bin.



Cost : Relatively inexpensive. They really don't use that much.



Sleeping on the bed : I don't recommend it, seeing as the cage may fall or the hamster will run away!



Good luck,



Sids
  • christian book
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment