Monday, January 30, 2012

How can I find information about black life in Canada?

I need information on the quality of life for blacks in Canada, ideally in comparison to the US. In America, they have a census, I imagine Canada does as well?



I specifically interested in the nuances of day to day life. What's the crime rate, police brutality, AIDS, black unemployment rate.



I am very interested in leaving the US for another country and I am exploring Canada first.



Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate it.How can I find information about black life in Canada?Well, I am black and I was born and raised in Toronto. The quality of life here is better, period, not even just for blacks so my guess is you might seriously be considering that move. In Toronto, as of 2006 black people made up about 8.4%, I know that seems pretty small compared a lot of major US cities but it's really not especially now that 5 years have passed since the last census plus there are A LOT of ethnic neighbourhoods in Toronto, so if you like to stick to your own, like a lot of immigrants tend to do, you can check that out - like Little Jamaica, Little Italy, Corso Italia, Greektown, Chinatown, Little India, Little Portugal ETC.



The crime rate isn't all that bad either compared to a lot of major US cities, every now and then there seems to be a spark in youth violence, like in 2005, it was named "Year of the Gun" by the media because of the alarming high rates gun violence among youth was climbing at. But Toronto is still one of safest cities in North America as far as that goes.



%26amp;The overall unemployment rate sits at about 8.4% as of April 2011, not too sure about the black unemployment rate specifically, sorry. But I imagine it's not too bad if the overall rate is only 8.4%

%26amp;The only knowledge I have of serious police brutality was last summer during the G20 protests when things went totally crazy in Toronto... and I think in March there was a walk/protest against police brutality, it's not really too common.



I think you would really love Canada, especially Toronto, it's Canada's "New York" except we're friendlier and more polite lol. Good luck where ever you decide to go! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment